Are you willing to commit to ensuring the safety of our marine environment? Do you want to be part of a high functioning team?
Maritime New Zealand (MNZ) is a great place to work, offering diversity and a rewarding career opportunity. Our people are dedicated and driven to work towards our vision of ensuring our seas are safe, secure and clean, on behalf of all New Zealanders.
We are now recruiting a Maritime Officer to join our Compliance team. Based in Maritime New Zealand’s regional office in Tauranga, you will work closely with the maritime community and with MNZ staff across the country. As a front line staff member you will help to develop and maintain the national safety, security and environmental protection regulations that govern the operation of vessels, ports and offshore installations in New Zealand waters.
You will be motivated to support, encourage and require operator compliance with those regulations by licensing and certifying seafarers and commercial operations, educating the maritime community, auditing operators and service providers such as ship surveyors, investigating incidents to try to stop them happening again and enforcing the regulations to hold people to account for their actions. Your focus will be domestic shipping but could include international shipping as well depending on your background and training.
We are looking for a self-motivated team player with a great attitude, initiative and good communication skills who is keen to be trained and supported through a great career at MNZ.
The ideal candidate will need to have some of these key requirements:
- An understanding of the Maritime Transport Act
- An understanding of the Health and Safety at Work Act
- Health and Safety regulatory and compliance experience within local or national Government or with a similar international organisation
- Audit, inspection/assessment or investigation experience
- An understanding of MOSS
- A proven history of educating and networking across a wide range of people and cultures
- Experience working in the maritime or associated industries, and ideally either an NZ domestic maritime qualification, an STCW Master Mariner qualification or a Chief Engineer qualification
- Working knowledge of Port State Control inspection regimes
You will also need to be available to travel and work across New Zealand, sometimes at short notice, and you must also hold a current full and clean Driver Licence.
Expectations for this position are high. Ultimately you will be expected to lead, support and train your colleagues in a challenging and dynamic environment, work collaboratively as part of a regionally focused team and also engage widely both internally and externally.
If you believe you have the skills and experience we are looking for, please review the Position Description and apply via the Maritime New Zealand Careers Page.
As part of your application process you are required to complete our online employment application form, and submit your CV and cover letter.
Applications for this position close on Friday 24 January 2020.