At Maritime New Zealand we are entrusted with ensuring the safety, cleanliness and security of our coastal and inland waterways on behalf of all New Zealanders and visitors.
We are proud to be of New Zealand’s most trusted public sector agencies, and are committed to leading, coordinating and engaging with the maritime sector and a wide range of government agencies and partner organisations.
With approximately 250 staff located at our 10 regional offices and Wellington head office, at our Marine Pollution Response Centre in Auckland, and at the Rescue Coordination Centre New Zealand in Lower Hutt, we are a diverse and busy organisation.
Our work ranges from policy and maritime rule development, to safety campaigns and initiatives across the recreational boating and commercial shipping sector – as well as responding to marine oil spills and coordinating large-scale search and rescue operations.
About the role:
We now have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Communication and Media Advisor to join our newly established Communication and Stakeholder Engagement Group. The purpose of the role is to provide specialist advice/support regarding strategic and tactical communications and media issues, and support the wider group to lead and champion communications and engagement activities on behalf of the organisation.
Responsibilities include delivering high quality communications services and support, and working closely with the Communication and Stakeholder Engagement Managers and other groups internally and externally to ensure consistency of approach on communications and media issues. There is also a requirement to provide after-hours media support on a rostered basis.
Ideally you will have:
· A relevant tertiary qualification
· Significant experience working in a specialist communication and media role, including in an emergency response situation
· Strong analytical abilities, including sound judgement and robust decision-making skills
· Excellent oral and written communication skills, including report writing
· Proven experience developing and delivering against budgets and programmes of work in a complex and dynamic business environment
· Strong relationship-building and collaborative skills
· An ability to see the ‘big picture’, and recognise and manage risk across the wider organisation
· Knowledge of public sector management would be an advantage, including the ability to undertake monitoring and reporting on strategic outcomes and performance indicators
· A sound knowledge of media tools and channels, including social media
· Ability to travel internationally and domestically.
To view to position description, please see: www.mnz.govt.nz/about/careers To apply for this role, please complete the online application form and submit CV and your covering letter outlining your interest and suitability for this role.
Interviews are planned to take place late January 2020.
Applications close 20 January 2020